Youtube Shorts is a short-form video service that lets users create and upload a video of 15 seconds or less on YouTube. Youtube recently started rolling out these new shorts – Rival to Tiktok.
Not all people like these new Youtube shorts as they were super annoying to watch. In this Guide, I will let you disable Youtube shorts in the simplest way possible.
Note: If you are a Youtube creator and looking to delete your own Youtube short videos you can follow this Guide below
Table of Contents
- 5 simple ways to disable Youtube shorts on the Youtube app
- More Youtube Guides
5 simple ways to disable Youtube shorts on the Youtube app
1. Download Youtube vanced app
Update: After a legal threat from Google, the popular Vanced YouTube app is being discontinued. Vanced’s creators have announced that the project will be discontinued in the coming days, with download links being removed. While the app will continue to work for anyone who currently has it installed on Android, it is likely to stop working in the near future without further updates.
You can download Youtube vanced alternatives to continue blocking ads and disabling Youtube shorts.
If you are unable to install the Youtube vanced app you can download NewPipe (It doesn’t come with Youtube shorts), or you can try degrading the Youtube app, watching YouTube on a browser, or on a PC to remove Youtube shorts.
YouTube Vanced is the mod version of YouTube that will allow users to use YouTube premium users for free.
Along with premium features, it comes with powerful features like disabling ads, YouTube shorts, YouTube stories, and sponsored content on YouTube.
Below I have listed how to download the YouTube Vanced app. You can download Youtube Vanced manager from the direct link below and follow the detailed setup process here
- Download the YouTube Vanced manager by visiting this link
- Install the app and follow the on-screen setup instructions
- After you completed the setup, Open the app and follow the steps listed below.
- Open Youtube Vanced app
- Go to settings and then vanced settings
- Go to ad settings
- Go to the bottom and turn on short self.
- Now Go back and then go to layout settings
- Now go to the comment location alpha section and turn on
- This will disable Youtube shorts completely on the Youtube app.
2. Degrade the YouTube app
The older version of the app doesn’t contain Youtube shorts. So installing the older version of Youtube will disable Youtube shorts on the Youtube app. Follow the instructions given below to download the old version of YouTube without ads
- Download Youtube version 14.12.56 by clicking the link
- Install the app by allowing unknown sources to install apps.
- Disable the auto-update of the YouTube app by going to the google play store and turning off the auto-update feature.
You can also install the old version of YouTube by going to your smartphone settings > search for manage apps or simply apps > click on YouTube > delete all youtube updates. This will uninstall the latest version of YouTube.
3. Use YouTube in the browser
The browser version of YouTube doesn’t contain YouTube shorts. You can open your favorite browser on Your smartphone and go to https://www.youtube.com/ to watch YouTube without shorts.
4. Remove Shorts from the Home screen
This is a simple and small step to remove YouTube shorts from the Home screen. You don’t need to install Third Party app to do this. Simply follow the steps below
- Open the YouTube app on your smartphone
- Go to short self and click on the three-dot icon located on the shorts video
- Now click on not interested
- The short self will be removed from the home screen. If not refresh the page.
This is a small and easy step to remove YouTube shorts from the home screen. YouTube shorts self will keep on coming back. I recommend this step if you want to disable shorts from the home screen temporarily.
So, this is how you can remove YouTube shorts from the YouTube app. As you can see there is no direct method to disable shorts on YouTube.Hope this guide is helpful to you.
5. Block Youtube Shorts Channels
Some channels on Youtube are dedicated to only posting Youtube Shorts. As shorts become very popular for channels to gain subscribers, many Youtube channels started new shorts channels to post youtube shorts. You can simply block the Youtube Channel to block Youtube shorts from a specific channel. Here is How to block a Youtube channel.
- You can search the channel directly from the search bar on youtube if you know the exact channel you want to block. If you don’t you can find the channel in the Youtube shorts section.
- Open the Short you will be able to see the channel name. If it contains a name like Shorts, The channel is dedicated only to posting Shorts. You can also confirm this by clicking on the channel name and visiting the videos tab.
- After visiting the channel. click on the three-dot menu on the top and tap on the block user. Now confirm the block by clicking on the Block.
Why You Should Disable Youtube Shorts
After banning Tiktok in India, Many companies including Facebook, and Youtube has started offering short video content on their platform. There are many reasons why you should disable Youtube Shorts on your Youtube app
- Youtube shorts ruins the whole experience of Youtube. Youtube is known for its long forms of content. Introducing shorts has made it Youtube experience messier and also brought lower-quality content to the platforms
- Shorts are known to be addictive. The reason why Tiktok becomes super popular is the addictiveness of the platform.
- Spending too much time-consuming Youtube Shorts can lead to feelings of anxiety, depression, and loneliness, which can all have a significant impact on productivity.
How to Re-enable Youtube Shorts
To Re-enable Youtube Shorts on your Youtube app, You can install the official Youtube app on your Android or iPhone. You can also visit Youtube.com to Re-enable Youtube shorts. To install the latest version of the Youtube app on your smartphone you can visit the Google Play store for Android or Apple App store for iPhone.
Once the app is installed the app on your smartphone, you can log in with your Google account again and start watching the Youtube shorts again.
What happens when I disable Youtube Shorts?
When you disable Youtube shorts on your smartphone or desktop you will not be able to watch Youtube Shorts entirely.
Can I still watch regular videos if I disable Youtube Shorts?
Yes you can watch regular Youtube videos if you disable Youtube Shorts
Can I disable Youtube Shorts on specific devices only?
Yes, you can disable Youtube shorts on a specific device online. We shared a guide for each device.
More Youtube Guides
- How to remove ads from YouTube: 5 ways to get rid of ads
- How to Disable YouTube Stories: 3 Ways to hide stories on Youtube
- How to remove recommended content from the Youtube home screen
- How to skip sponsored content on YouTube video
- how to stop youtube recommendations: 5 Ways to Take Control