Who is Micromax?
- Micromax is an Indian Smartphone manufacturer and consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurugram, Haryana, India. It was established as an IT software company operating in the embedded devices domain.
- By 2010, Micromax was one of the largest domestic companies making handsets in the low-cost feature phone segment in India. As of Q3 2014, Micromax is the tenth largest smartphone vendor in the world. The company is facing stiff competition from Chinese companies that are penetrating the Indian market. The company also owns YU Televentures, which sells the products under the brand name YU.
- Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. in the year 2000 by Rahul Sharma, Dewas, and Rohit Patel, Nagora.[It began selling mobile phones in 2008, focusing on democratizing technology for the masses to compete with international players.
- This prompted him to launch a feature mobile phone with long battery life. This was the X1i phone, Micromax’s first telephone with a month-long battery back-up.
- More Info here : Micromax WikiPedia
Interesting Facts About Micromax
- Micromax was originally a Software focused company that specialized in the embedded devices domain (Developing embedded boards like Raspberry PI, etc.)
- The company later entered the mobile handset business in 2010 and that’s when it became one of the largest smartphone brands in India and the 10th largest in the world.
- Micromax was founded by Rahul Sharma along with his friends Vikas Jain, Sumeet Arora, and Rajesh Aggarwal in the year 2000
- In Q2 2014, the brand’s sales in India exceeded those of Samsung and it became the number one mobile manufacturer in India followed by Samsung at No.2 and Nokia at No.3 according to counterpoint research.
- After becoming the No.1 smartphone brand in India, all eyes were on the American market but, due to the immense competition in India from brands like Xiaomi, Samsung, and Apple, the brand feared the loss of dominance in India and didn’t expand.
Stories about Micromax
- Why Did Micromax Fail?
- How Micromax made it big in India
- India ditched Micromax for cheap Chinese phones, but now loves its ‘atmanirbhar’ credentials
- Micromax: Can it regain the attention of consumers?