Twitter announces new verification policies that relaunch its verification process early next year along with brand-new guidelines for users who want to be verified on Twitter. The company is seeking feedback and will announce more details soon. ( December 17 ).
New Policies for Twitter Verification
According to Twitter Your account must represent or otherwise be associated with a prominently recognized individual or brand, in line with the notability criteria described below. In addition to confirming the identity of the controller of the account, Twitter will verify the following types of accounts based on the criteria described
- Government: Accounts of key government officials and offices, including heads of state, elected officials, appointed ministers, institutional entities, ambassadors, and official spokespeople. Official candidates for state- or national-level public office may also be verified in certain countries, where available resources allow us to do so fairly and equitably.
- To qualify, there must be a public reference to the account on an official government or party site or publication, or multiple references in news media. Twitter may also independently confirm qualifying affiliation through direct outreach.
- Official accounts of public utilities and other services may also be verified, as may people in leadership positions and official spokespeople.
- Companies, brands, and organizations: Accounts representing prominent organizations, and secondary affiliated accounts, including companies, brands, non-profit organizations, as well as their leaders and other prominent executives. To qualify as prominent, accounts must meet 2 of the following requirements:
- presence in public indices, including but not limited to Google Trends, public stock exchanges, Wikipedia (including multiple references to unaffiliated external sources), and databases such as Charity Navigator;
- 3 or more featured references within the 6 months prior to applying in news outlets that meet the News criteria below; or
- follower count in the top .1% of active accounts located in the same country.
- News: Any official accounts of qualifying news organizations, as well individual accounts of journalists employed by qualifying organizations may be verified, if the account is public (does not have protected Tweets) and refers directly to the name and official URL of the qualifying organization and otherwise meets the criteria laid out in this policy.
- Qualifying organizations include newspapers; magazines; broadcast, cable, satellite, and streaming TV and radio news networks, stations and programs; digital news publishers; podcasts; and similar media, and must adhere to recognized professional standards for journalism such as those laid out by the Society of Professional Journalists, Independent Press Standards Organization, and International Federation of Journalists, or have committed to the International Fact-Checking Network’s code of principles.
- Entertainment: Accounts of major entertainment companies, such as film studios, TV networks, and music entities may be verified. Official accounts of productions associated with these entities, such as films, events/festivals, or TV shows, may be verified if:
- the connection to a verified organization is clear on the account’s profile; and
- the website associated with the production or entity, or similar official public source, includes a link to the profile
- Individual accounts of artists, performers, directors, and others in similar public-facing roles associated with such entities or their productions may be verified if:
- the website associated with a verified entity, or similar official public source, includes a link to the profile;
- and they have 5 production credits on their IMDB profile
- Sports: Accounts of professional sports leagues, teams, rostered athletes, and coaches listed on the official team website or in sports data services such as Sportradar may be verified, as may those of athletes participating in global competitions such as the Olympics and Paralympics. Official team pages of club and collegiate teams may also be verified. We will not verify amateur athletes who compete at the collegiate level (or lower) nor in official minor leagues unless they meet the criteria for influential individuals verification below.
- Activists, organizers, and other influential individuals: Outside the professional categories defined above, people who are using Twitter effectively to bring awareness, share information, and galvanize community members around a cause, to bring about socioeconomic, political, or cultural change, or to otherwise foster community, may be verified
Twitter new subscription
After CEO Jack Dorsey confirmed Twitter is exploring a subscription model, the company is conducting user surveys on what type of features they'd like to see in such a service.— Andrew Roth+ (@RothsReviews) July 31, 2020
Undo send, special badges for profiles and advanced analytics are among the features being considered. pic.twitter.com/hL6T8sdI0s