According to the Data from Speedtest Intelligence, Network speeds in India has seen astounding growth and evolution since the country’s first mobile call in 1995. The report claims local operators like Jio, Vi and airtel continued to push faster networks in the country.
The full report is here
India trailed Pakistan for mobile speeds
- India showed the second fastest mean download speed over mobile among the largest South Asian countries during Q3 2020, with Pakistan showing 39.7% faster mobile download speed than India.
- India had the slowest mean upload speed on the list at 4.18 Mbps. Both India and Pakistan showed improved mean download speeds over mobile when comparing Q3 2019 to Q3 2020.
- Bangladesh saw a smaller increase of 6.3% in mean download speed over mobile.
- Upload speeds remained mostly flat across South Asia’s largest countries, with only Pakistan showing a slight improvement year over year.
India also ranked second for 4G speeds
- India showed the slowest mean upload speed over 4G at 4.25 Mbps — 65.6% slower than Pakistan’s.
Vi India was fastest over 4G
Vi India was the fastest mobile operator over 4G in India during Q3 2020 with the fastest mean download and upload speeds among top providers. Airtel followed Vi India with a mean download speed of 13.58 Mbps, while Jio showed a mean download speed of 9.71 Mbps in Q3 2020.
India led in 4G Availability
India had the highest 4G Availability among the largest South Asian countries during Q3 2020 with 93.7% of tested locations showing 4G available according to data from Speedtest® coverage scans on Android. Bangladesh followed with a 4G Availability of 78.6%, while Pakistan had the lowest 4G Availability during this period at 72.9% and also Jio leads the 4G Availability in India.
Network speeds in different cities in India
- Hyderabad had the fastest mean download speed over mobile during this period at 14.35 Mbps, followed closely by Mumbai at 13.55 Mbps and Visakhapatnam at 13.40 Mbps.
- The slowest mean download speeds on our list were measured in Nagpur (10.44 Mbps), Kanpur (9.45 Mbps) and Lucknow (8.67 Mbps).
- The mean download speed in first-place Hyderabad was 65.5% faster than that in Lucknow.